Support Us
Donate
Phone (701) 974 3315 Address PO Box A Richardton, ND 58601
Social
Follow us on Facebook!

Tibati

“Assumption Abbey has a foundation in Bogotá, Colombia, South America, named MONASTERIO BENEDICTINO DE TIBATI. Its principal apostolate is education. The community is located in the north of Bogotá.
HISTORY In April 1960, Abbot Ignatius Hunkler received an invitation from Archbishop Luis Concha Córdoba to found a boys school in Bogotá, Colombia. The Abbot invited him to the Abbey to present this proposal to the monastic community. He came, and the monks with amazing speed agreed to accept the task. The monks Lawrence Wagner, Frederic Mundt, Anselm Ruelle and Adrian Mundt were sent to Puerto Rico by June to learn Spanish. They arrived in Bogotá on August 6, 1960, the same day the city was celebrating its date of foundation (it was founded in 1538). Immediately the monks began preparations to start a school. In February 1961 the school opened its doors. In 1962 the community working at Colegio San Carlos was established as a dependent priory. The new priory was named PRIORATO DE TIBATI. The word "Tibatí" comes from the Chibcha language and it means "Joy of the Lord." Father Lawrence Wagner became the first prior. In 1969 the priory was given permission to set up its own novitiate. In 1986 the first Colombian made solemn vows and was later ordained a priest. At the present time the community is composed of about a dozen monks. The abbot of Assumption Abbey makes frequent visits to the community of Tibatí in order to assist them in living monastic life to its fullest. APOSTOLATE The community's school for boys, named COLEGIO SAN CARLOS, held its first commencement on November 1, 1965; with 41 graduates. At the present time CSC enrolls nearly 1300 students in grades one through twelve. In September 1978 the community entered upon a second educational venture – a school for students of the locality. On February 12, 1979, the new school, named COLEGIO SAN BENITO DE TIBATI, began its classes with 120 students. On December 12, 1984, the school celebrated its first commencement when 27 students (11 girls and 16 boys) received their diplomas. The school enrolls 460 students in grades seven through twelve. In addition to the work in the schools, the monks of Tibatí provide pastoral service in nearby convents and parishes. The monks have a liturgical apostolate with people in the area. Furthermore, they live a life devoted to prayer, both public and private, study, fraternal service in community, and help in whatever tasks are necessary in the monastery.

Back to Welcome Back to Welcome

Tibati

“Assumption Abbey has a foundation in Bogotá, Colombia, South America, named MONASTERIO BENEDICTINO DE TIBATI. Its principal apostolate is education. The community is located in the north of Bogotá.
HISTORY In April 1960, Abbot Ignatius Hunkler received an invitation from Archbishop Luis Concha Córdoba to found a boys school in Bogotá, Colombia. The Abbot invited him to the Abbey to present this proposal to the monastic community. He came, and the monks with amazing speed agreed to accept the task. The monks Lawrence Wagner, Frederic Mundt, Anselm Ruelle and Adrian Mundt were sent to Puerto Rico by June to learn Spanish. They arrived in Bogotá on August 6, 1960, the same day the city was celebrating its date of foundation (it was founded in 1538). Immediately the monks began preparations to start a school. In February 1961 the school opened its doors. In 1962 the community working at Colegio San Carlos was established as a dependent priory. The new priory was named PRIORATO DE TIBATI. The word "Tibatí" comes from the Chibcha language and it means "Joy of the Lord." Father Lawrence Wagner became the first prior. In 1969 the priory was given permission to set up its own novitiate. In 1986 the first Colombian made solemn vows and was later ordained a priest. At the present time the community is composed of about a dozen monks. The abbot of Assumption Abbey makes frequent visits to the community of Tibatí in order to assist them in living monastic life to its fullest. APOSTOLATE The community's school for boys, named COLEGIO SAN CARLOS, held its first commencement on November 1, 1965; with 41 graduates. At the present time CSC enrolls nearly 1300 students in grades one through twelve. In September 1978 the community entered upon a second educational venture – a school for students of the locality. On February 12, 1979, the new school, named COLEGIO SAN BENITO DE TIBATI, began its classes with 120 students. On December 12, 1984, the school celebrated its first commencement when 27 students (11 girls and 16 boys) received their diplomas. The school enrolls 460 students in grades seven through twelve. In addition to the work in the schools, the monks of Tibatí provide pastoral service in nearby convents and parishes. The monks have a liturgical apostolate with people in the area. Furthermore, they live a life devoted to prayer, both public and private, study, fraternal service in community, and help in whatever tasks are necessary in the monastery.
Support us
Donate
Social
Follow us on Facebook!

Email us
Phone (701) 974 3315 Address PO Box A Richardton, ND 58601